Thursday, October 3, 2013

Top Hardware Complete - Stage Nearly Done

I received the rest of the screws to finish off the top of the pad today, so I installed them:

They are smaller versions of the larger countersink screws that I used for the panels on the pad. I didn't drill any countersink holes since their small size allows them to sink into the existing holes pretty well. The tape you see on top of the L-Brackets is mounting tape, cut to size. The adhesive is on both sides, but I left the plastic on the top side to prevent it from sticking to the arrows.

Literally NONE of the internals are fastened with screws since I'm still waiting for delivery. Most of them are SEMS screws, which Amazon currently doesn't list with prime shipping, so I'm waiting on standard 5-day shipping. Surprisingly, everything feels very sturdy even without those screws. None of the plates move and nothing makes any noise when stepping. I could probably get away without using any screws inside at all, really.

I hooked up the pads and did an I/O check. There is only 1 dead sensor in the entire machine, which is a relief. There are a couple of weaker sensors, but overall it's in great shape. All of the neon in the pads and in the speakers works, too. I played a song to make sure everything worked and it was pretty great. Once I finish putting screws on the inside I'll do a video of the true first song on the rehabbed pads.


Re-fitting the selection buttons on the cabinet fixed the input problems I was having with them. All of the yellow arrows register correctly and both green buttons work. The green button on the right doesn't light, so it might have a burnt-out bulb, but it works fine.

I found the top left speaker disconnected so I reconnected it and it works. I was worried that maybe the reason it was disconnected was that it was blown or something, but it sounds fine. The connection was a little hard to get to since it's directly behind the marquee. 

The bottom left bulb on the marquee is still not working. Stranger still, during the lamp test I noticed that testing the lower-left bulb lights the top bulb and testing the top does nothing. I'll have to check out the wiring. The front plate on the top left bulb was also unlatched on one side, and there are some replaced screws on the housing, so I guess some part of it was replaced at one point.

I still need to clean/vacuum up some of the metal fillings left over from drilling the countersink screws. Also, the pads are legless and wheel-less until my order from ChannelBeat is fulfilled. I've ordered 8 new arrow panels and a new umbilicus tube (connecting the stage to cabinet). The machine is still technically playable and actually performs better than most arcade experiences I've had. I'm really happy with how this is turning out.

I'm not going to do any serious rehab on the cabinet until next month. Part of the cabinet rehab I have in mind is converting it over to a StepMania machine, which I'm pretty excited about. So far all I've replaced is the exhaust fan in the back since it was too dirty to clean. The new one is a little loud, but I can really feel it moving air which is not something that the old fan did very well.

The cabinet is also missing a lot of screws, but I kind of lucked out in that they seem to share the thread size as the larger stage screws (M6). I have 96 extra since they come in packs of 100 and I needed 104 for the stage. I'll probably use as many as I can since I like the way they look and I have 96 of them sitting in a bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment